Sign Up for the TBL Newsletter Today!
The Enneagram with Shay Bocks
"When we’re working with an archetypical understanding of branding, we’re not just speaking on the surface." — Shay Bocks
The Enneagram types can be a powerful tool for gaining self-knowledge, but did you know that they can also reveal and shape integral aspects of your brand? This week on The Brand Leader Podcast, we get together with Shay Bocks, an expert brand strategist and enneagram practitioner, to discuss her process for combining enneagram research with branding strategies. Tuning in, you’ll hear Shay share her insights into the nine enneagram types as well as their many variations and nuances. She explains why it’s important to understand the core survival strategies of each type, and sheds light on some of the more common misconceptions around some of them. We discuss Shay’s thorough branding process with companies of all shapes and sizes and interrogate how identifying the founder’s enneagram, or that of the company can enable you to draw conclusions about the type of audience they want to connect with. Our conversation with Shay was deeply thought-provoking, and we can’t wait to hear more about her work. Be sure to tune in for this inspiring episode!
[bctt tweet= "“If I know the brand or the founder's Enneagram type, I can draw some conclusions about who your audience is and what kind of messages they're looking for, often times very unconsciously.” — Shay Bocks, @shaybocks."]
Key Points From This Episode:
- Introducing today's guest, Shay Bocks, an expert brand strategist and enneagram practitioner.
- How Shay first discovered the enneagram and started incorporating it into her Brand career.
- Shay’s enneagram type, and the impetus for combining enneagram research with branding.
- Kyle’s anecdotes of how the enneagram has helped them understand key team members.
- Some of the adaptive coping strategies different types develop to survive in the world.
- How our coping strategies can be maladaptive and sabotage our own efforts.
- Learn how stereotyping and misinformation can turn the enneagram into a toxic tool within a corporate context.
- How informational texts on enneagrams often misrepresent certain types.
- Why it’s important to understand the various nuances within different types.
- Some of the misconceptions that people have of various types.
- The importance of understanding the core survival strategies of the different types.
- A quick breakdown of the nine different enneagram types.
- How a brand can embody an enneagram type.
- The different levels of health with each type as well as dominant and repressed instincts and how that relates to branding.
- How the brand of a founder or company can help one draw conclusions about the type of audience they want to connect with.
- Learn about Shay’s very thoughtful branding process, whether it’s a small business or a large corporation.
- The interesting connections between Carl Jung’s archetypes and the enneagram.
- How Shay conceived of the fully human framework and how she utilizes it with her clients.
Links Mentioned in Today’s Episode:
Shay Bocks on Instagram
The Road Back to You: An Enneagram Journey to Self-Discovery
The Enneagram Institute
The Complete Enneagram: 27 Paths to Greater Self-Knowledge
The Enneagram Guide to Waking Up: Find Your Path, Face Your Shadow, Discover Your True Self
The Brand Leader
The Brand Leader Podcasts
What Is Design?